Opening backup files in Nvivo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Billy Madden
    Participant

Hi

My laptop had to be wiped recently and while I have NVivo software reinstalled I can no longer see my recent projects. I have located my backups, but these are .nvb files. When I go to” open other projects” in NVivo it can’t see these are they are not the required .nvp format files.

How can can I open my backup files on my new Nvivo software?

Regards

Billy Madden

TUS

Hi Billy,

Your ‘recent projects’ links will not be present on a new installation because there are none. These links will appear as you open and close files in the new installation of <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo. See this video explaining how recent project links work and how to locate your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo project file if you can’t see a ‘recent link’ to it: https://qdatraining.com/your-nvivo-project-file-name-no-longer-exists-remove-from-my-recent-projects/</span></span>

Your NVivo project file is in your ‘Documents’ folder by default unless you have moved it. It has a round blue icon and will show the file name and the file extension *.NVP. It looks like this:

We always recommend you also create a manual backup in a cloud folder un case something happens to your device. These will also be in *.nvp files.

Please see the steps for backing up and storing your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo project file </span>demonstrated on p5⇉10 of your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>Day 1 – Introduction to NVivo – Setting up your Qualitative Database Workbook</span>

Day 1 – Introduction to NVivo – building your qualitative database:
    https://qdacloud.myqnapcloud.com/share.cgi?ssid=0Us8mqe

Your project recovery files are automatically created by NVivo. These are in your ‘Documents’ folder in a sub-folder named ‘NVivo Recover Files’. These are *.nvb files, but recovery files should never be used instead of manual backups precisely because they are an automated process, and you will find out how good any such process is when you need it; which may not be the best time to discovery an automated process was not working correctly which can happen for a myriad of reasons. You will be able to see the date and file size of your last recovery file created in the properties of the recovery files in your ‘NVivo Recover Files’ folder.

The Project Recovery Wizard can be run at any time from Files > Help > Restore Project

I hope this response is helpful in answering your question, but do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
    Ben Meehan
    QDATRAINING Team

Billy Madden
    Participant

Hi Ben

Thanks for the prompt reply. The video on where to find my project files was helpful. Unfortunately, I was only able to find one of four project files that I have been working on and even that doesn’t appear to be as complete as I would have hoped. I do have backups (.nvb files) for all these projects. I should mention that we recently migrated frim .lit to .tus email accounts recently, and I am aware from colleagues that there have been issues around some files not migrating as a result of this. That said  am not I seem to have all my other files.

I notice from your website, that you are giving training tomorrow and Friday. Would it be possible to follow up on this someday next week?

Regards

Billy

Regards

Billy

Hi Billy,

I will of course set up a support call for Monday. Your message was posted on this public forum, so I will email you privately because, as a result of your attendance at our training workshop, You have free and unlimited post training, online, one-to-one support for the life of your first project using NVivo. This support is delivered using a person-to-person, online, user-friendly screen sharing system and participants are not limited by duration or frequency of calls as they incrementally apply the tools, protocols, and concepts learned in the workshops in a real research environment using their live data. We aim to schedule support calls within four working days of request. We deliver support calls during normal working hours, but also every evening up to 10:00 pm and on Saturdays, up to 6:00 pm. You must register your project for support on our system if you wish to avail of one-to-one support. 

Normally, (but not on this occasion) If you wish to arrange a support call, you can do so here: https://qdatraining.com/request-nvivo-support-call/  we need the online scheduling system to track and plan resources. Support calls are typically arranged within four working days. We run support calls during normal working hours, but also in the evenings up to 10:00 pm and on Saturdays, up to 6:00 pm. Note* you must be logged into your account on the website to be able to make a support call request. 

Finally, in terms of clarity on this public forum, please be aware that *.nvb files are not backups but recovery files. Back up files are copies of the *.nvp files. Recovery files will only reflect the last time the project file was saved and closed. So, for example, if you opened one of the incomplete copies and then closed it, your recovery file would reflect this incomplete copy and overwrite the last *.nvb file. This is why we go to great lengths in our workshops and training materials to urge NVivo users to never rely on automated recovery files but to create an up-to-date backup copy, in the cloud or on the institutional network to always have an update copy of your work which could be reinstated from a different device. 

Kind regards,

Ben Meehan

The QDATRAINING Ltd

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.