Reply To: Opening backup files in Nvivo

Hi Billy,

Your ‘recent projects’ links will not be present on a new installation because there are none. These links will appear as you open and close files in the new installation of <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo. See this video explaining how recent project links work and how to locate your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo project file if you can’t see a ‘recent link’ to it: https://qdatraining.com/your-nvivo-project-file-name-no-longer-exists-remove-from-my-recent-projects/</span></span>

Your NVivo project file is in your ‘Documents’ folder by default unless you have moved it. It has a round blue icon and will show the file name and the file extension *.NVP. It looks like this:

We always recommend you also create a manual backup in a cloud folder un case something happens to your device. These will also be in *.nvp files.

Please see the steps for backing up and storing your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>NVivo project file </span>demonstrated on p5⇉10 of your <span class=”prokeys-snippet-text”>Day 1 – Introduction to NVivo – Setting up your Qualitative Database Workbook</span>

Day 1 – Introduction to NVivo – building your qualitative database:
https://qdacloud.myqnapcloud.com/share.cgi?ssid=0Us8mqe

Your project recovery files are automatically created by NVivo. These are in your ‘Documents’ folder in a sub-folder named ‘NVivo Recover Files’. These are *.nvb files, but recovery files should never be used instead of manual backups precisely because they are an automated process, and you will find out how good any such process is when you need it; which may not be the best time to discovery an automated process was not working correctly which can happen for a myriad of reasons. You will be able to see the date and file size of your last recovery file created in the properties of the recovery files in your ‘NVivo Recover Files’ folder.

The Project Recovery Wizard can be run at any time from Files > Help > Restore Project

I hope this response is helpful in answering your question, but do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
Ben Meehan
QDATRAINING Team