Word count in NVivo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Is there a way to do a simple word count for text? 

Hi Ingrid,

Welcome to our site. Yes you can do a word count for text. To do this:

1. Go to queries in the navigation screen (the buttons in the right bottom corner of your NVivo screen)
    2. Go to the 'Explore' tab in your ribbon (toolbar)
    3. From the 'new 'query' menu – select 'Word Frequency Search'
    4. Select the add to tick box in the top corner of your screen to save your query for re-use or to amend it (you will need to give it a name)
    5. Change the all sources drop down menu if you wish to narrow the search from everything to say a set of nodes or sources
    6. Change the most frequent levels down from the standard 1000 if you wish to reduce the return
    7. Increase the minimum length to about four characters so as to eliminate returns like "the" or "as" etc
    8. You can review the results as a list (each word can be converted to a node)
    9. You can view the results more visually by clicking on the following tabs at the side of the results screen: 'Tag Cloud' 'Tree Map' or 'Cluster Analysis'.
    I'm not sure what you meant in your second 'shout' about "classifications and attributes" but if you need help with these you can post a question on the forum below and a trainer will respond within one working day:

I hope this is somewhat helpful but do come back to me if you need clarity on any of this.
    Kind regards,

Hi Ingrid,

Yes you can count words by paragraph. You need top do a two step process as follows:

1. Auto code your document by paragraph. this will give you a parent node with a child node for each paragraph
    2. Run a matrix on the these new nodes and change the cell content from sources to words coded.

The result will be a table showing a row for each paragraph in your document and displaying the number of words for each paragraph. The whole process should take seconds to complete so if it takes longer, you are doing something wrong. 

If you need either of these processes demonstrated on-line just let me know and we can arrange a time. You can do this by sending an e-mail to support@qdatraining.eu 

Kind regards,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.