Where is the casebook gone in NVivo 9?

Welcome Forums Where is the casebook gone in NVivo 9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I'm used to usng a casebook to give attributes to cases in NVIVO8. I don't know how to do this in NVIVO9. Help!

Anonymous

Thanks.  I went to the tutorial you did on attributes in NVivo9, but couldn’t view it.  I was able to view the other tutorials on NVivo9, so… I wonder if there is a problem with that tutorial.  I also tried to do it through youtube, and had the same problem.  ???

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s strange because it’s playing here. I checked it on YouTube and it also played? I have no idea why you cannot view it. I even checked it on my iPhone in case you are viewing on a MAC and it played there as well. Sorry!

Here is a link to download and save the file so you can run it on your own machine rather than over the internet:

http://www.qdatraining.eu/downloads/Where_are_my_case_nodes_gone.zip

This is a ‘zipped’ file in MP4 format and will play in ‘quicktime’ or iTunes or several free video players available on-line. Because the file is ‘zipped’ for faster downloading you will need to ‘unzip’ to play. Just right click on the file and select ‘extract here’ to ‘unzip’ or decompress the file. The file is called “Where are my case nodes gone?”

If all that fails, we can arrange to do a live demonstration (no cost) on-line to show you this stuff around case nodes. The concept is exactly as was in NVivo 8 but the prescribed folder called ‘case nodes’ is now gone. Instead they are just another group of nodes organised into a folder and you can name the folder ‘people’ for example, instead of cases. The attributes are now ‘classifications’ as shown in the tutorial. You code your sources in their entirety to these new ‘people/case’ nodes and then you select them all and right click to apply the attributes to them. Then you apply your values to each case. Just like NVivo 8, if you have your attributes in a spreadsheet or any electronic format, you can import and match them to the cases automatically. Once this once off set-up task is complete you can then cross tabulate your demographics or other quantitative fields against your coded themes in NVivo  and produce nice charts and tables that clearly show any relationships or patterns that exist in your data between the two types of data..

I hope this is somewhat helpful but please come back if I can be of more assistance and/or if you can’t see the video and would like to see this stuff demonstrated live on-line. We are in different time zones but we can arrange a mutually convenient time to do the demonstration

Kind regards,

The QDA Traning Team!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The concept of the case book and case nodes still exists in NVivo. However, they are just another type of node and what was referred to as the casebook is now a ‘classification sheet’. See the tutorial http://www.nvivotraining.eu/people on this website (you will need to create a user account to view it) Or, send an e-mail to support@qdatraining.eu and we will respond personally.

Warm regards,

QDA Training Team!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.