Need to produce a more complex chart

Welcome Forums Forums Getting Help with Nvivo – Scroll to end to post a question Need to produce a more complex chart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ioana

Hello,

I am currently working with a large sample of interviews from different countries with answers in the form of 21 statements for each participant, statements afterwards categorized by importance by the participant. I have different numbers of interviews in each country and I am trying to look at the overall importance participants give to a certain statement but at the same time compare male versus female responses.
    For example, I have categories such as resources needed, tasks, moral values, etc. (these are the nodes I used to code the information). Then I have the importance assigned by each participant to a category, from 1 to 9, 9 being the most important. And finally, I have the demographics, what women said and what men said.

What I’d ideally like to pull out (I’m using NVivo 9) is a chart that has the 1 to 9 importance on the Y-axis, and the nodes on the X-axis, and for each node on this axis show two bars rating the importance, one for women and one for men.

So far I managed to create a chart using frequencies, that includes all nodes and considers 1 node to have a 100% percent frequency, then divided between men and women, so for example node ‘moral values’ was used 70% of times by men and 30% of times by women. This is not the best result, because I have a smaller number of women than of men and I would like to know the overall frequency the node shows up among all women, and compare what nodes were most frequently used by them.

I hope the above makes sense. I would be happy to get the info out in other formats too, such as matrices or graphs, I just need some help in organizing it so I can pull out what I need.

Many thanks,
    Ioana

Hi Iona,

The intersecting you require is possible in NVivo. The first thing we need to check is if the database is set up correctly. Have you set up case nodes and linked your classifications to them? Have you treated your 1 to 9 ratings as attributes? If not, then this is the first conversation we need to have. Once this task has been completed we can then move to reporting on the data in the way you need. 

See these tutorial screencast: http://www.nvivotraining.eu/tutorial2 and: http://www.nvivotraining.eu/people

If you can't figure out if you have set up correctly, then let me know and I will take a look at your set-up and check it for you.

Kind regards,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.