Matrix coding queries – cross tabs on multiple attribute values?

Welcome Forums Forums Getting Help with Nvivo – Scroll to end to post a question Matrix coding queries – cross tabs on multiple attribute values?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    austinb

Hi,

I am trying to use matrix queries to do some cross tabulation style analysis.

Is it possible to use a matrix coding query to see nodes that are matched up with other nodes based on multiple attribute values?

In other words, I would like to define my "row" as having nodes with a "node classification" attribute value of, say "Hair Color"="Brown" AND "Gender"="Male". Each of my respondents has been coded to a node (node = name of respondent) that has been attributed to the node classification sheet that includes both Hair Color and Gender.

Then, my column would be defined as whatever node I am interested in, so that I can see how many of those column nodes intersect with respondent nodes that have been classified as male AND have brown hair. 

Make sense?

Thanks!

Austin 

Hi Austin,

You can do this but not in one move within the matrix. You would need to combine two queries (effectively a compound query) to get the desired result. First, you would run a coding query (advanced) to create a ‘set’ of cases that meet your condition(s) (men with brown hair). You would then place the set(s) in the matrix in columns and the nodes you wish to cross reference against as rows. Job done!

To do this:

1. Create a coding query and select the ‘add to project tab’ to save it (saving means you can easily re-use it to create lots of sets that meet various conditions you may wish to explore). You could call it ‘create pre-defined set’ for example
    2. Under the ‘all selected nodes’ drop down menu, select ‘any node where’ and choose the ‘select’ button beside it to browse for the attribute Gender in this case (choose select again when the dialogue box comes up) and choose Gender = Value Male. Select okay and don’t forget to use the ‘add to list’ button to add the condition. Leaving the operator set to the default ‘AND’ repeat these steps to add your second condition Hair = Brown
    3. Go down to the ‘All sources’ drop down menu below and change this value from ‘all sources’ to ‘selected items’ and browse and tick the box beside cases
    4. Now go to the query options tab above and change the options drop down menu to ‘create as a new set’ and name the set – ‘Men with brown hair’.
    5. Run your query and your set will be created. You can see the result in ‘Collections/Sets’

You can now use this query to create all manner of sets that meat all manner of conditions

Now create your matrix and put the qualitatively coded codes/nodes as rows and your new set (or several sets) in the column. You now have all the power of the matrix at your disposal and you can change the values from references, to cases, to words etc…

If you can’t follow this let me know as I’m not sure what level of user you are. I will be happy to provide greater detail in the instructions or even screen-shots if you need them. Please advise the forum if you are satisfied and this worked okay for you so others may learn from your enquiry as well.

Kind regards,

austinb

Many thanks, Ben! That's exactly what I needed. Great, clear, instructions.

Austin

austinb

Hi Ben – 

Is there any major difference between creating my results as a "new set" vs. creating them as a "new node?"

Thanks!
    Austin

Hi Austin,

Not in this case as the same information will be combined into a node and displayed as a single cell in the matrix in exactly the same way as if they were separate cases. However, there are some queries where you may want to group a 'set' of cases or sources rather than display them as a single node. Sets are usually created to facilitate a second query to follow and some matrices would require the cases listed separately in the row or column depending on what you were intersecting them with. You can't do this with a single node. 

Kind regards,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.