Linking Memos to more than one source

Welcome Forums Forums Getting Help with Nvivo – Scroll to end to post a question Linking Memos to more than one source

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JL

I have a question. Is there a facility to create memos that link across various sources – interview transcripts in my case. I am trying to link more than one transcript to some memos that I have created but I can only seem to link to memos that are specific to tha particular source. 

Thanks – great website 🙂

John

Hi John,

A memo can only be linked to one item. However, you can have as many 'see also links' as you like. You can have top or bottom level see also links. By this I mean, you can link the contents of a transcript a specific part of the memo or the memo as whole and you can have as many links as you like. You can see the relationships which as highlighted in pink as you read through the memo or you can view the associated text when you click on a see also linked piece of text or see an entire table of the relationships across and between all of your transcripts and memos. To do this: You can also use relationship nodes to link the memo to any number of transcripts and again you can see a table of these or display these relationships in a model.

See also link – top level – linking a transcript to an entire memo:

1.       Open a transcript and select the title (Interview 1 – Ben Meehan for example) or a relevant passage that you wish to link to the memo

2.       Highlight the text and right click and choose from the right mouse menu Links->see also links->new see also link

3.       A dialogue box appears

4.       In the item section, click on the select button and browse to your memo

5.       Select the 'ok' button now you will have created a top level link between that transcript and the entire memo

6.       The selected text will be highlighted in pink and the memo displayed at the bottom of the transcript. Drilling on the memo will open it. Repeat this process to link as many transcripts as you like to this memo

See also link – bottom level – linking a transcript to an part of the memo:

1.       Open a transcript and select the title (Interview 1 – Ben Meehan for example) or a relevant passage that you wish to link to the memo

2.       Highlight the text and right click and choose from the right mouse menu – copy

3.       Go to the memo, open it and choose the part of the memo you wish to link to

4.       Highlight the text and right click and choose from the right mouse menu – paste as see also link

5.       The selected text will be highlighted in pink and the memo displayed at the bottom of the transcript. Drilling on the memo will open it at the exact text as defined in the link. Repeat this process to link as many transcripts as you like to various parts of this memo this memo.

Seeing your links in a table:

1.       Go to collections->see also links

2.       You will see all of your relationships displayed as a table; Interview 1 –> memo 5 for example. Drilling on any row will open up both items and show where they are linked

Using relationships

1.       First define the relationship type

2.       Go to classifications->relationship type->new relationship type

3.       Define the relationship type "is represented at" for example and whether the relationship is Associative, One Way, or Symmetrical

4.       Then go to nodes->relationships->new relationship

5.       A dialogue box appears

6.       Select the from and two items by clicking on the 'select' button. For example from Transcript 1 is represented at  Memo 1 – Associated

7.       The relationship is created but this is also a node and you can code text from both the memo and transcript together at this node

8.       Again, these relationships will be displayed at as a table and can be drilled down on

Relationships and linking items generally are a fundamental part of qualitative data analysis. They are very important as they show the complexity of the data, the relationships across and between different parts of it, the scope of the analysis itself and they ensure we don't forget important connections we made when writing up. By using these tools you can link your thoughts between the literature, primary data, observational data and field notes and even your own thoughts and coding assumptions.

I’ve inserted instructions on following the link below which will allow you to download both introductory level and intermediate level course workbooks which cover using memos, annotations, see also links and relationships nodes

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

JL

Thank you so much for that detailed response. It's fascinating and opens open a whole new level of analysis. I never would have figured this out on my own.

Many thanks again!

J

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.