I loose my formatting when I import a PDF into NVivo 9

Welcome Forums I loose my formatting when I import a PDF into NVivo 9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Oh, I forgot to ask, how do you find working with NVivo with it’s currently bad support for PDFs?

The problem I have is that almost everything I read is in PDF format (Journal Papers), and I found that working with PDFs in NVivo is very bad as it distorts the document in a way that can be worked with really.

This is the only thing that kept me away from NVivo at the moment, although I am really eager to go ahead and use it today!

It's true that the PDF converter leaves a bit to be desired. When you import, NVivo automatically converts to a regular NVivo document but a lot of the formatting in the original PDF is lost. My solution is to convert the PDF to Word first and then import. There are very good and reasonably priced PDF editing software out there now which will open a PDF for editing and then export it perfectly formatted to MS Word. Take a look at 'Smart PDF Editor Pro' It works very well and is very reasonably priced.

Hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    The qdatraining Team
    Anonymous

I tried converting my PDF to a Word doc first as one of the posts suggested. At first, this did not produce any better result. Then, I realized that the settings in Adobe Acrobat needed to be changed first. Very easily done. Choose the PDF you wish to export. Select FILE and EXPORT. Next you will see the SAVE AS box. On the very right, find the SETTINGS button. Under SETTINGS select RETAIN PAGE LAYOUT. That was all it took to get a doc that imported in NVIVO with all the formatting intact, and none of the words run together. Hope this helps someone else!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.