I can’t link my case nodes

Welcome Forums I can’t link my case nodes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have watched you videos on YouTube and love them. I have 4 participants, who did 3 interviews each (each interview was a different theme), for a total of 12 interviews. Now I am setting everything up under Nvivo9. I have created a new project….and now trying to figure the best way to organize under sources folder. I want to make sub folders under the Internals….Should I have a folder for Interview 1, Interview 2, and Interview 3? Then important each interview into the corresponding folder? Or should I make a folder for each participant and then import all 3 of their interviews under 1 folder (their folder)? After importing the audio files and transcripts, I can them transfer them into case nodes….Although, they are now coded I do not have them connected to who they are…..which means I need to do a node classification and create a person one…so I am trying to figure out the best way to set everything up from the beginning. SN: What comes after the classification??? This was in your YouTube video "NVivo 9 – Where are my case nodes gone and how do I connect them to my attributes" Do you have a book of ra tutorial after that one….on the next steps? Your help is greatly appreciated….Thank you in advance. Have a great day! Angela

Hi Angela,

You only need one folder and a clear naming convention for the files. So if my interview is called BEN and I create a folder under internal called 'Interviews' the link above any text I code to a node will look like this – Internals/interviews/Ben so you will know where any text segment or 'unit of meaning' is coming from at a glance.

The process for connecting everything up is as follows:
    Create a new classification and call it cases
    Right click on the classification and select create attributes
    Create attributes and give them values (Attribute = Gender Values = Male/Female)
    Create a folder under nodes called cases
    Create case nodes (right click on your sources and select the 'create as cases – the last option – cases plural not cases singular)
    Select all of your cases and right click and select classification/cases
    Go back to your classification and right click on it and select open classification sheet
    You will see your cases on the left and your attributes across the top. It will look like this:

Cases Gender
    Ben Unassigned

Assign the correct values to each case from the drop down menu (Ben = Male)
    Everything is now connected up correctly and you have a much broader scope for your analysis.

If this is unclear send me an e-mail and I will arrange a time to demonstrate this on the web.
    Hope this helps!
    Ben
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.