how to Chart nodes by attribute value

Welcome Forums Forums Getting Help with Nvivo – Scroll to end to post a question how to Chart nodes by attribute value

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    brydie

I am trying to chart nodes by attribute values that I had assigned documents when I imported them (I am using NVivo 10). For example, I have attributed documents according to a time frame (ie. attribute: July or August or September) to track the themes according to time. However when I select “chart item coding by atttribute value” I am not able to select any attributes (the only folders that come up are “classification” or “search folder” which do not allow me to select a particular attribute) .

PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE help!

Hi Brydie,

The reason your charts are not working is because your database is not set up correctly. The good news is that this is easily rectified. The concept you are missing is the case node. Attributes linked to transcripts serve a different purpose than the one you are applying to them. You need to create your transcripts as case nodes and link them to the classification sheet that contains the information you originally linked to the transcripts. See this short video: http://www.nvivotraining.eu/content/tutorial-2-where-are-my-case-nodes-and-casebook-gone-nvivo-9-or-10  

After that, all will work. Look at the video and if the steps are not making sense, I will send you step-by-step instructions in a PDF to complete the task.  

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Ben

brydie

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for posting this information. I had feared that it was the way that I had set it up that was the problem but hopefully I can rectifiy it easily. Unfortunately the link that you posted doesnt seem to work on my system, I would be soooo grateful if you could post the PDF instructions you mentioned

Many many thanks!

Brydie  

Hi Brydie,

The workbook I'm sending you is designed to be used in conjunction with our 'Day 1 – Introduction to NVivo – building your qualitative database'  NVivo training workshop. Obviously, your data will be different.  I'm assuming you are using versions 9 or 10 of NVivo. You need to look at creating case nodes on pages between pages 11-15 and setting up attributes and linking their values to cases between pages 32-43. The workbook is too big to send via e-mail, so you will receive a link and password to to download it via a private e-mail.

Hope it helps! Let us know how you got on or if you need further assistance. 

Kind regards,

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.