Cleaning code

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LKearins
    Participant

Hi Ben

I have two versions/node folders of my code: the open coding directly from the data, and the second version is the Axial coding. I have kept them separate as folders so my progress working through the code over a while can be seen. Now I need to make sure I have all the codes in the second file, in addition to subsection totals that I am building as I am grouping the codes.  I see two key totals in the two ‘node folders’ and am confused about which is the most important.  So I have a) the total number of references and b) the total number of items (bottom left of my screen). I am not matching exactly on ‘items’ or ‘references’ so I need to do some work to try and track down what I am missing; where should I start? I’m working with over five thousand codes in each folder so it would be easy to miss a code and hard to find it again.

Thanks,

Louise Kearins

Hi Louise,

If you navigate in ‘Detail View’ (the blue panel on the left) to: ‘Sets/Dynamic Sets/All Codes/’ you will have a view that shows all codes and with hierarchical names and which folder each code is in. If you sort on the name, codes of the same name will list together as shown in the screenshot below:

https://qdacloud.myqnapcloud.com/share.cgi/All%20codes%20View.png?ssid=cfbf306bf62b436792db576f9fa000ab&openfolder=normal&ep=&_dc=1693898836081&fid=cfbf306bf62b436792db576f9fa000ab

If the number of references differ between codes, you could always merge the one with the lower number into the one with the higher one (copy and merge). Comments coded to both will not duplicate, but it will save you seeking out comments in one and not the other.

Finally, Louise, you are on post training support, so if you prefer to arrange a support call to go through these steps interactively, you can arrange a call at this link: https://qdatraining.com/request-nvivo-support-call/  Support calls are typically arranged within four working days. We run support calls during normal working hours, but also in the evenings up to 10:00 pm and on Saturdays, up to 6:00 pm. Note* you must be logged into your account on the website to be able to make a support call request.

I hope this is helpful but do let me know if you need clarity on any of this.

Kind Regards,

Ben

LKearins
    Participant

Thanks Ben, sounds like a plan, only one snag, I haven’t got a ‘Dymanic sets’ option, is there a setting I need to turn on to view it?

I have quick access options/ Codes/Cases/Notes/Seach/Maps and Reports

I do see ‘Sets’ under ‘Search’ but my options are Interesting cases with no query/Manager set created using a query/Video.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi Louise,

When you registered your project on our system you selected your version of NVivo as being ‘NVivo 2020’ which is sometimes referred to as version ‘R1’. Are you by any chance using NVivo 12 still instead? If so, the path is: ‘Search/Search Folders/All Codes/’ This will give you the same view as described above. 

I hope this response is helpful, but do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,

Ben

LKearins
    Participant

Okay you are right I’m Nvivo 12, apologise for posting in the wrong place, I will move the conversation over to the correct place.

Louise

Hi Louise,

you did not post in the wrong place, so don’t worry about moving. I was referring to your support registration where you cited the newer version, so I originally posted the path to ‘All Codes’ for that version. Once I realised you were on version 12, I have corrected my second post to show the path to the same view for that version. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope this response is helpful, but do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.